Thursday, October 30, 2014

I've been working on the...city.

This week has been busy but good.  Sister Shrack arrived on Tuesday and we got right to work.  I have know Sister Shrack for a long time, so it is fun to get to serve together.  My companion has gone through a lot.  Only a few months ago, her mother unexpectedly passed away.  She did not go home.  She went to work because that is what missionaries do.  We leave personal matters behind, however important or devastating they are, because we know our responsibility of serving the Lord for eighteen months, outweighs all else.  I am inspired by Sister Shrack.
This weekend we got to attend General Conference.  Because of time change and distance, the Filipinos of the Church have to wait a week to listen to the Prophet's voice.  But it was great to hear what the apostles and prophet had to share with us.

Our area in Laoag seems to be getting harder and harder.  Even though Sister Shrack and I try our best each day, we have many disappointments.  Lots of appointments that fall through, people who are interested that move away, and blistering heat.  But something that is great is that there are always blessings.  They come in different forms and sometimes it takes time to notice them, but they are always there.  Blessings are good at hiding themselves, but it is our personal attitude of gratitude that helps us to find where they are. 
I have heard a lot of you talking about the new movie, Meet the Mormons.  I am excited to get to watch it myself when I get home, but for all of you living in the first world, I encourage you to check it out. I am glad that those of you who are not members of this church have an opportunity to learn more about us and what we do. 
If you would like to learn about some of our basic beliefs, check this out:
http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/articles-of-faith

No comments:

Post a Comment