Monday, March 3, 2014

Let Them Eat Cake!





The giant America package came this week.  A shout out goes to my mom and also to Bishop for bringing it across the world for me.  The best parts of the package included a cake mix, granola, and and extremely mini and awesome umbrella. As for the cake mix, it took it a long time for us to figure out how to make it.  Ovens are nearly nonexistent in the Philippines, but using our creativity, we made pancakes out of our cake mix.  It was excellent. My mother also kindly sent some old pictures of me and my friends from high school and college.  These pictures immediately struck a conversation in the apartment how I was much prettier and...skinny....before the mission.  We are going on a diet!  Less rice and more jogging!  Good thing the cake mix is already gone.

Here are some of the more spiritual highlights of the week:
1. We met a Methodist missionary who called us over and immediately asked us for a "Mormon Bible."  She told us that she wants to learn more about Jesus and asked us a series of questions about the contradictions of religion and science.  She was a little bit of a crazy person and talked about a mile a minute, but it was cool to interact with someone also trying to bring souls unto Christ.  For more information on the "Mormon Bible:" http://mormon.org/beliefs/book-of-mormon.
2. We committed Gladys Fillomena to baptism.  She is a member of the most anti-Mormon Church in the Philippines but understands that through the Restored gospel, we have the complete gospel and accompanying authority of God on the earth.  For more information on the Restored gospel :http://mormon.org/beliefs/restoration.
3. Irenio Jr. is all set to be baptized this week.  It is great to see the members of his family see his example.  They desire to follow him because they see that he has been made happier through the gospel.  We hope his dad and older brother soon commit to the standards of the gospel and feel the joy that Irenio Jr. has already acquired.  To learn more about the Perfect Example: http://mormon.org/beliefs/jesus-christ.


In other news, my companion is really trying to grow her English vocabulary.  Her English is already nearly perfect but I am helping her to learn new words that she picks out of the dictionary.  I thought it would be a good service to help her learn the language of my people, but it has completely backfired.  One of yesterday's words was "obnoxious," and now when she finds any opportune time, she calls me obnoxious.  Maybe we will focus on more positive words that she can use to describe me, like "brilliant" and "gorgeous."

I have an inspirational story for all of you!

Twenty Dollars
Author Unknown

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked. "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."

He proceeded to crumple the 20 dollar note up. He then asked. "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.


"Well," he replied, "what if I do this?" He dropped it on the
ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

Still the hands went into the air.

"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. No
matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20."


As we read in Doctrine and Covenants, "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."  I know that the Lord is our Shepherd, willing to find the one lamb that has wandered.  He loves us.  He communicates with us through the Holy Ghost; we may have chills, feel peace or inexplicable happiness, or we may hear a whisper.  He wants us to know that we are His children.  He wants us to return to Him. Have a great week!  Ayo ayo!

Learn more about me and what I believe: http://mormon.org/me/BHZ4

No comments:

Post a Comment