Monday, June 3, 2013

THE TONGANS LOVE ME!

So I have decided that like at school, I can become quite popular here at the MTC.  All the Tongans here (they are everywhere and many of them are learning Tagalog and going to the Philippines) not only share my sense of humor, but they find me to be quite similar to them.  Most of this has stemmed from the fact that I am a star at interpreting foreign languages.  Since learning Spanish and now Tagalog, I have learned a lot about reading people and their expressions.  So, basically what happens is that I listen to their Tongan conversations and then respond in English with something general but applicable to the conversation.  I have actually been asked if I speak Tongan.  I don't speak Tongan, FYI.
 
Also, this week I have seen Jared Giles like 5,000 more times, as well as Allen and Adam Sierra from Provo YSA 46th Ward!  Can someone tell me where Ben Raymond is?  I have seen everyone but him and this is bothering me greatly.
 
Funny story of the week:  Each class period we sing a hymn in Tagalog.  Well, there seems to be a shortage of mga himno on our floor and they often disappear from our classroom.  Brother Langer was a little bit annoyed that we had to keep hunting them down so he told us to keep them in our bags so the other districts would not take them.  The next day Brother Rojas came in asking to borrow mga himno but we told him we did not have any.  Following the intructions of Brother Langer, we told him that we did not know where then had went.  Even though we said that, Brother Rojas still looked around the entire room.  He eventually left...  Later in the day, we were singing at the start of our class with Brother Langer.  We all had our mga himnos out and who decides to walk in?  Yep, Brother Rojas.  Sister McPhie and I were trying to hide our laughing behind our himno.  Brother Rojas basically walked away, we finished the song, looked at eachother, and had a very long laugh.
 
Speaking of Brother Langer (the best teacher ever)- We had personal interviews with him this week outside of class.  It was a kind of get-to-know-you thing.  Look at this star Tagalog student right here!  He told me that I was definitely ahead in learning the language and that he sees that it is easy for me to understand the grammar.  I was happy to hear that, but he also told me that this means that I have a bigger responsibility to help the rest of the district in learning the language.  I know that the Gift of Tongues is a true power from God because I know that the rate that I am learning and my ability to understand Tagalog are beyond my personal capabilities.
 
Speaking of languages, my kasamas told me that they didn't believe that I spoke Spanish.  I luckily had the opportunity to speak to some Peruvian elders called to serve in the States.  I proved all of kasamas wrong and one of the Elders told me how suprised he was that someone who looks like a gringa could pull out such good Spanish.  Too bad I am not being called to serve in a Spanish speaking mission!
 
In other news, thanks to all for the awesome letters and email that I am recieving.  It is hard work here at the MTC, but I feel the ways in which the Lord is blessing my life each day.  A great point that someone brought up this week is how serving a mission in the Philippines is like serving a mission in Brazil.  The mga tao of the Philippines already love God and Jesus Christ.  It is easy to see how the gospel has spread all throughout Latin America, but its growth has been somewhat slower in Asia.  The Philippines wants to hear the gospel.  They are the most receptive nation in Asia to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ!
 
Mahal kita ng lahat!
 
Sister Copeland
 
P.S. Shout out to Lydia Nielsen.  I say "nagashnaga" all the time because it sounds just like Tagalog.  When I mess up or don't know wha tto saw, I say "nagashnaga" and it fixes all of my problems.  Also, sorry about any typos, Illia Wen.

No comments:

Post a Comment