Sunday, April 27, 2014

A story and a kuwento.

A thought on the heart.(Source Unknown)

 "Grandpa, what you are whispering?" a boy asked, noticing that his grandfather was whispering something to himself before going to bed.

"I put a thought on the Heart…" grandfather said.

A boy was surprised; "What does it mean?"

Wise grandfather told him, "I do not want to quarrel with a neighbor who let me down, but I do not know how to behave. So I will put a thought on the Heart and go to sleep, and in the morning the Heart will tell me what to do."

"And where does the Heart know it from?"

"The Heart knows everything, I'm learning from it all my life. And I may advise you: when looking for an answer to a difficult question, when something is not clear, put a positive thought before going to bed at the Heart, and next morning the answers will be opened for you. Just do it with faith."

Becoming Christ-like is a hard and long process.  As we reflect on this season and on the death of our Savior I hope that we find small ways that we can be more like Him.  Maybe we can more fully apply the thought of "What would Jesus do?" to our lives as we live by faith and become more patient with the Lord. 
This week definitely gave me more opportunities where I could assess myself and become more humble.  Missionary work is the best kind of work there is, but it is often full of disappointments.  Sister Brewer and I expected the baptisms of Angeliq and Alyssa Obsipo to occur, but with only 12 hours before the planned service, they backed out and told us that they felt unprepared.  Although they had a complete understanding of the gospel, they were not ready because they had doubts.  I was sad and surprised, but I was immediately able to recognize the Lord's timing.  All things are done in His timing, not ours.  I know that Angeliq and Alyssa will get baptized.  It may be next week or next year, but I know it will happen.  They have faith and they love their Savior.  I have faith, too.  As Preach My Gospel states, “When you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself. You can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when you feel the Spirit working through you.”
I love this work.  This week I will leave Sanchez Mira and my family here.  I have been here for 6 months and I feel like I have been adopted as their Americana child.  (Did you know that "Americana" in Tagalog means "coat?"  That's true.)  I will miss this place but I know I now have work to do and lessons to be learned in Aparri.

No comments:

Post a Comment