Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Leah Needs a Title for This...










Hello everyone!
This has been a great week.  We not only secured a contract for a newly refurbished apartment (we are talking two showers, everyone), but we have begun to teach another family in our area.  Jonalyn’s baptism was also a great success and the other sisters in our ward baptized the Roqueta family this week.  This is exciting work.  I am very grateful to announce that next week we will have an additional set of sisters serving in our ward; that means six sisters total!  The area I will be leading will be half of my current area.  I will have a lot of work to do with my new companion, especially because our area is mainly members of the Iglesia Church, a church that is very against Mormons.  But, we can do it because we have the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ!
I have attached some pictures from this week.  Because the tap water in San Nicolas is brown, we had to get creative with the ward missionaries to find clear water to fill the baptismal font.  (I keep suggesting to baptize people in the ocean, but no one seems to be grabbing on to the idea.)  So because well water is significantly cleaner than tap water here, we got the Agustin’s truck, tons of buckets, and went to member’s homes that have wells.  It took all morning and water is heavy, but that is okay because by biceps are huge now.  That was a joke.
Also, shout out to Sarah this week.  I hope your birthday is fun and I hope that you do not wash away in the floods in Colorado.  I made you a cake but you will have to wait to November 2014 for me to get it to you. 
This week I heard a story which I would like to recount to you.  It is called “How the Filipino People Got Their Skin:”
One day God made man.  He put the first man in the oven to cook, but God put him in too long and burned the man.  So God tried again.  This time he under cooked the man.  On God’s last try, man came out of the oven just right.  God sent those he overcooked to Africa and sent the undercooked man to Europe.  But the best man, the one cooked just right, was sent to the Philippines.  And that is how the Filipinos people got their skin.
I am working my hardest out here.  It has been really hot again and some days are very long, but it is comforting to know that I am in the service of the Lord.  I also realized that this week marked the 12th anniversary of the September 11th attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.  9/11 has affected me greatly; I will remember that day and the following weeks and months as my family took a somewhat front row seat living in Connecticut.  I am thankful to be an American.  I am thankful for the Land of the Free.  I am thankful to be a citizen of such a wonderful place.
I love you all!  Thank you for your support.  Thank you for keeping in touch.  Thank you for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment