Thursday, July 18, 2013

KUMUSTA

Today was a really amazing week.  We started the week with only one progressing investigator but we now have eleven progressing investigators, seven of which have committed to baptism.  I am learning how active the Lord is in the lives of the people here; He is preparing so many to hear the gospel.  It is simply our job as missionaries to find those who He has prepared.  We have made a lot of progress also with the ward missionaries who are now very helpful.  When they work with us, we have a lot of success.  Life here is better each day.  The people are so humble and kind.  I am glad that I have been called to serve in the Laoag Mission.

I tried to attach a picture of Julie and I but this ghetto computer cafe does not like me.  I will try to send it next week.  We found her this week and she has been receptive to our message.  She also fed me until I about exploded and made me sing her Happy Birthday because I supposed look like Taylor Swift (all Filipinos call all American girls Taylor Swift).

I have also become very talented at pretending to understand Tagalog.  I can understand most conversations by this point, but people still make fun of me when I try to speak, because my Filipina accent is non-existent.
Today's Filipino cultural lesson will be about public transportation.  We walk a few miles each day but we rely on public transportation a lot also.  Tricycles are the most fun, ghetto, and scary form of transportation- there is a motorcycle and attached to the side is a cab that fits 4 Filipinos or 1 American.  It is usually 10 pesos for a ride and it is the only air conditioning you will find here.  There are also jeepneys which we do not often take- they are tricked out buses which you climb in through the back.  Also, if anyone out there is ever planning on coming out here and driving, there are two rules of the road: fill in all the gaps and drive in as many lanes at one time as possible.  I am not even sure if there is a traffic light in all of Ilocos Norte. 
I love you all!  The Church is so true!  I want to here how you are all doing!  You can dearelder me or write me for real :

Sister Leah Copeland
Philippines Laoag Mission
Brgy. 50 Buttong, Airport Avenue
Junction Tangid Road, Laoag City 2900
Llocos Norte, Philippines
Mahal ko kayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment