Saturday, March 16, 2013


New York is a gross place. I love New York but that does not mean that it smells nice.  The streets are filled with thousands of people at all hours of the day.  The flashing lights from Times Square reflect into my hotel room.  Police cars rush by ever fifteen minutes; yet, since arriving to the city about twelve hours ago, I have found pockets of time which have allowed me to feel a great peace. 

We can feel the Spirit when we think with perspective.

Maybe it is my keen sense for the workings of the concrete jungle that has led to many people asking me today where I am from (not), but each time I am able to proudly state, “Newtown, Connecticut,” my answer is met with surprise.  Over the past months, I have thought about the innocent victims and their families who have been forced to face sheer devastation. While visiting Ground Zero today, I was reminded of another tragedy, one that could have potentially changed my family forever.

Events such as these are often incomprehensible, but by seeking clarity not through a perfect understanding, but through perspective, we can be led to peace.  For me, this peace comes from my growing respect for God’s plan and His timing.  Easier said than done, but by aiming to understand His power and His will, we can be guided to comfort.  

We can feel the Spirit always.

Trinity Church is a magnificent structure.  While sitting in the pews, a friend leaned over to me and asked, “Can you feel the Spirit in other churches?”  Of course you can!  The Spirit within Trinity Church was so strong, despite the many shuffling through its corridors this afternoon.  My friend and I felt this presence because we have felt a similar feeling many times before.  If we listen, the Spirit can be present anywhere. 

Although I know that the Spirit is a being who works in harmony with God and Jesus Christ, I like to think of him as a force.  His amazing power has the ability to slip under any door or turn any corner.  He will show up when and where a recipient is ready to listen.

We are all entitled and able to feel the Spirit.
For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated. –Doctrine and Covenants 1:2

I am thankful for my relationship with the Spirit.  The guidance it offers me is unparalleled to my personal ability to discern right from wrong and better from best. 

The Church is true, even in Midtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment