Sunday, February 24, 2013


The two greatest questions in life, pertaining to the identity of God and our personal identities, can be answered through a variety of means.  It is our choice to use societal definitions or unchanging doctrine to find our answer. 

Who is God?

When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him! -JSH 1:17

When Joseph Smith prays in the Sacred Grove, he first learns of the nature of God.  God knew Joseph’s name.  Our God is a personal being.  He created us and he knows us more than anyone we will ever know. 

Who am I?
And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless?
And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.
And I have a work for thee, Moses, my son; and thou art in the similitude of mine Only Begotten; and mine Only Begotten is and shall be the Savior, for he is full of grace and truth; but there is no God beside me, and all things are present with me, for I know them all. -Moses 1:3-4, 6

We are created by God, in his image and in the similitude of Jesus Christ.  We are loved by an infinite God with an infinite love.  We each have an infinite potential and we are of infinite worth to our Father in Heaven.

There are social mirrors placed all around us based on the societal norms, norms which are more irregular and shifting that their name implies.  When we look into these mirrors, we can view loose and deceiving definitions of the identity of God and our own identities.  By subscribing to these ideologies, we can fail to understand the proper morals by which we should abide. 

I am thankful for the scriptures and the truth they hold.  Their words create a perfect mirror in which we can look and find direction.  Society distorts truth; the scriptures keep truth untainted from the influences of the Adversary. 

God is Good.  He is infinite.  He loves me perfectly and can see a potential that I often fail to understand. God loved me and I know this because he sent Jesus Christ to die for me.  He did the same for you, too.  God, the perfect parent, watched the Son suffer, bleed from every pore, and lose his life.  God is great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment